This recipe is full of delicious ingredients that are also very beneficial for our bodies! I created it especially for anyone experiencing any symptoms associated with estrogen dominance – an imbalance of two hormones, estrogen and progesterone.
The cruciferous vegetables – cauliflower and broccoli – contain a key ingredient, indole-3-carbinol. This nutrient provides support for the liver, helping it to detoxify itself of excess estrogen.
Another great fact – eating cruciferous vegetables raw can be harmful for anyone with thyroid problems as they can produce goitrogenic affects, which can interfere with the production of the thyroid hormone. However, because these cruciferous vegetables are cooked in this dish, the goitrogenic action is destroyed!
Pretty amazing stuff, hey? Give these cakes a whirl – they are delicious and taste even more amazing with my Quick and Easy ‘Cheesy’ Sauce. Here is the recipe:
Cauliflower Broccoli Cakes
Yields: 10 cakes
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
1 head of cauliflower, cut into bite-size florets
3 cups of broccoli, chopped small
1 small yellow onion
4 cloves of garlic
⅓ cup of brown rice flour
½ teaspoon of sea salt
½ teaspoon of black pepper
1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons of coconut oil
1. Remove stem from cauliflower and cut into bite-size pieces.
2. Steam cauliflower for about 8 – 10 minutes, until tender.
3. While cauliflower is steaming, cut broccoli into small pieces and put aside.
4. When cauliflower has finished steaming, remove from steamer and place on cutting board.
5. Place broccoli pieces in steamer and steam for about 5 – 7 minutes, or until tender.
6. While broccoli is steaming, chop cauliflower into smaller pieces while it is still hot. Place chopped cauliflower into bowl.
7. Remove broccoli from steamer and set aside once tender.
8. Finely chop onion and mince garlic. Place in pan with 2 teaspoons of coconut oil and sauté until onions are translucent. Remove onions and garlic from heat and put aside.
9. Sprinkle the flour over the chopped cauliflower and mix in. Add the onions and garlic, sea salt and pepper, and combine. Add in the broccoli and combine. Lastly, add in the egg and thoroughly combine the mixture.
10. Add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil to a large pan on medium heat. While pan is heating, form cakes in your hands. Place in pan and fry until golden brown.
11. Serve on some leafy greens as an appetizer or side with some Quick and Easy ‘Cheesy’ Sauce.
Balch, Phyllis A. Prescription for Dietary Wellness. New York: Avery, 2003. Print.
"Hypothyroidism Diet Natural Treatment - Dr. Axe." N.p., n.d. Web. 24 Oct. 2016.
"Indole-3-carbinol Is a Negative Regulator of Estrogen." N.p., n.d. Web. 24 Oct. 2016.
Northrup, Christiane. Women’s Bodies, Women’s Wisdom: Creating Physical and Emotional Health and Healing. Completely Rev. and Updated. ed. New York: Bantam, 1998. Print.